web analytics

Dog Toy Warning

Subject: Dog Toy warning
Toy warning

This is valuable information that should probably be passed along to
anyone you know with dogs, cats, or other animals that might chew up a
stuffed toy:

Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student, was
telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child’s teddy
bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she
thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess
inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog
will die- no surgery can fix him up- there was no living intestine left
stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. …. so she called the manufacturer of the
Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the
dog. Turns out the stuffing in children’s toys contains ingredients for
flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is
highly toxic. Now you would think a child’s toy would be safe because it
is for children, but they don’t expect a child to eat the stuffing of the
toys… huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish
stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children’s stuffed animals… some
people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and
story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe
some children’s toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe
then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs.

Please pass this on…. it is a horrible death she described and one that
can be

Dorie Madsen